Serafettin Karakis

Director-Structure, Tax, Financial Management & IR at Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS

Serafettin Karakis

Serafettin Karakis

Director-Structure, Tax, Financial Management & IR at Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS

Biography

Mr. Serafettin Karakis is a Director-Structure, Tax, Financial Management & IR at Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS and a Head-Investor Relations at CarrefourSA Carrefour Sabanci Ticaret Merkezi AS. Mr. Karakis was previously employed as an Auditor by Olmuksan International Paper Sabanci Ambalaj Sanayi ve Ticaret. He received his undergraduate degree from Istanbul University and an MBA from Sabanci Universitesi.

Overview
RelSci Relationships

98

Birthday

1972

Age

46

Relationships
RelSci Relationships are individuals Serafettin Karakis likely has professional access to. A relationship does not necessarily indicate a personal connection.

General Manager at Olmuksan International Paper Sabanci Ambalaj Sanayi ve Ticaret

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Head of Financial Regulations, Accounting & Legal Department at Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS

Relationship likelihood: Average

Chief Executive Officer, MD & Director at Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS

Relationship likelihood: Average

Vice Chairman at Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS

Relationship likelihood: Average

Director, Center Management at Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS

Relationship likelihood: Average

Director-Center Management at Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS

Relationship likelihood: Average

Director, Internal Audit & Ethics Inspection at Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS

Relationship likelihood: Average

Director-Human Resources at Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS

Relationship likelihood: Average

Director, Legal Affairs at Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS

Relationship likelihood: Average

Director-Documentation & Reporting at Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS

Relationship likelihood: Average

Paths to Serafettin Karakis
Potential Connections via
Relationship Science
You
Serafettin Karakis
Director-Structure, Tax, Financial Management & IR at Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS
Education
Undergraduate Degree
Class of 1994

Istanbul University was established in 1453 by the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II. However, Richard Honig, a German law historian, who claims that Byzantine and Ottoman traditions could be analyzed together, expressed that the history of Istanbul University can be traced back to March 1, 1321. The university, which was first established in today's main building, was equivalent to Roman universities consisting of schools of medicine, law, philosophy and letters, and is considered to be the pioneer of university education in Istanbul. It was founded as an institution of higher education named the Darülfünûn (House of Multiple Sciences) on July 23, 1846; but the Medrese (Islamic theological school) which was founded immediately after Mehmed II conquered Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1453 is regarded as the precursor to the Darülfünûn which evolved into Istanbul University in 1933. Education in a number of sciences and fields (such as medicine, mathematics, astronomy, cartography, geography, history, philosophy, religion, literature, philology, law, etc.) became available, and, until the 19th century, they were instrumental in educating the ruling cadres of the Ottoman society. However, when the medreses were no longer able to meet the needs of the modern world, a restructuring process began, and as a result, the institutions of higher education called Darülfünûn, the core of Istanbul University, was established. An institution of higher education named the Darülfünûn-u Osmanî (Ottoman House of Sciences) was created in 1863, but suppressed in 1871. Its first rector was Hasan Tahsini, regarded as one of the most important Ottoman scholars of the 19th century. In 1874 the Imperial University (Darülfünûn-u Sultanî) started classes in law in French, but was closed in 1881. The Imperial University, now known as Darülfünûn-u Sahâne was refounded in 1900, with the departments of theology, arts, mathematics, science and philology. In 1924, the faculties of law, medicine, arts and sciences were established in Istanbul University (Istanbul Darülfünûnu), as the university was now called. Islamic theology was added in 1925, but in 1933 the university was reorganized without the latter. The first modern Applied Physics courses were given at the Darülfünûn on 31 December 1863, which marked the beginning of a new period, and on 20 February 1870, the school was renamed as the Darülfünûn-u Osmanî (Ottoman House of Multiple Sciences) and reorganized to meet the needs of modern sciences and technologies. Starting from 1874, some classes of Literature, Law and Applied Sciences were given at the building of Galatasaray High School, which continued regularly until 1881. On 1 September 1900, the school was renamed and reorganized as the Darülfünûn-u Sahâne (Imperial House of Multiple Sciences) with courses on Mathematics, Literature and Theology. On 20 April 1912, the school was renamed as the Istanbul Darülfünûnu (Istanbul House of Multiple Sciences) while the number of courses were increased and the curricula were modernized with the establishment of the Schools of Medicine, Law, Applied Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics), Literature and Theology. On 21 April 1924, the Republic of Turkey recognized the Istanbul Darülfünûnu as a state school, and on 7 October 1925, the administrative autonomy of Istanbul Darülfünûnu was recognized while the Schools (within the old Medrese system) became modern Faculties. On 1 August 1933, Istanbul Darülfünûnu was reorganized as Istanbul Üniversitesi (Istanbul University) following the educational reforms of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. Classes officially began on 1 November 1933. The university has seventeen faculties on five campuses; the main campus being on Beyazit Square, which was originally built by Constantine the Great as the Forum Tauri and was later enlarged by Theodosius the Great as the Forum of Theodosius during the Roman period. The main campus building with its landmark gate was previously used as the headquarters of the Harbiye Nezareti (Ministry of War) by the Ottoman government. Located on the grounds is the Beyazit Tower, a 85 m (279 ft) tall fire-watch tower. The grounds were previously the location of the Ottoman era Eski Saray (Old Palace). Some Roman and Byzantine ruins are still visible on the grounds. The university has a teaching staff of 2,000 professors and associates and 4,000 assistants and younger staff. More than 60,000 undergraduate and 8,000 postgraduate students follow the courses offered by Istanbul University every year. The main gate was depicted on the reverse of the Turkish 500 lira banknotes of 1971–1984.

Career History
Director-Structure, Tax, Financial Management & IR
Current

Haci Ömer Sabanci Holdings AS operates as an industrial and financial conglomerate. It engages in various sectors that include financial services, energy, cement, retail and industrials. It operates through the following segments: Banking, Insurance, Industry, Energy, Retail, Cement, and Other. The Insurance segment consists of Aksigorta and Avivasa. The Energy segment includes Enerjisa Enerji AS and Enerjisa Üretim Santralleri AS. The Industry segment comprises of Kordsa, Temsa, Yünsa, Brisa, Philsa, and Philip Morrissa. The Retail segment is composed of of Teknosa and Carrefoursa. The Cement segment refers to Akçansa and Çimsa. The Other segment consists of Sabanci Holding AS, Exsa, Tursa, AEO, and Bimsa. The company was founded by Sadika Sabanci, Ihsan Sabanci, Sakip Sabanci, Haci Mehmet Sabanci, Sevket Sabanci, Erol Sabanci, Özdemir Sabanci, Abdullah Aktan, Kazim Köseoglu, Ahmet Civelek, Yilmaz Civelek, Ahmet Yakup Sabanci, Ali Aksoy, Ikbal Aksoy, Haci Omer Sabanci, and Yalçin Sabanci on April 17, 1967 and is headquartered in Istanbul, Turkey.

Auditor
2012 - Prior

Olmuksan International Paper Sabanci Ambalaj Sanayi ve Ticaret engages in the manufacture of paper packaging. Its products include corrugated, fresh fruit and vegetable, transport, shelf ready, heavy duty packages. It also provides design and high quality print services. The company was founded on August 13, 1958 and is headquartered in Istanbul, Turkey.

This web site is not endorsed by, directly affiliated with, maintained, authorized, or sponsored by Serafettin Karakis. The use of any trade name or trademark is for identification and reference purposes only and does not imply any association with the trademark holder. The Presence of Serafettin Karakis's profile does not indicate a business or promotional relationship of any kind between RelSci and Serafettin Karakis.