Powered by

‘They set my child on fire’ A baby was severely burned at Primary Children’s Hospital when tubing ignited in her throat

Sep 22, 2018 - The Salt Lake Tribune

In May, doctors at Primary Children’s Hospital began a routine operation on a 7-month-old girl, using a carbon dioxide laser to burn away excess tissue in her upper larynx.

It wasn’t the first time the baby — born with laryngomalacia, a common birth defect — had undergone the procedure. The baby’s mother, Heather Benson, said she wasn’t scared going into the surgery because she kind of knew what to expect.

But this time, doctors and hospital staff came out of the operatin...