Powered by

A Burning Candle and Faulty Smoke Alarms Leave 8-Year-Old Boy Dead in Queens Fire

Mar 03, 2019 - The New York Times

[What you need to know to start the day: Get New York Today in your inbox.]

The sound of breaking glass could be heard early on Sunday morning as several boys jumped from the windows of a Queens home that had become engulfed in flames as a result of a fire the authorities said was caused by a burning candle.

The family had not been alerted to the fire because the smoke detector in the two-story home in the quiet Springfield Gardens neighborhood did not function, fire officials said.

One of the children, 8-year-old Tighani Jones β€” β€œthe baby,” as he was known β€” did not survive the 2:30 a.m. blaze that also injured six other people, the police...